A Look at the Common Causes of Slip and Fall Injuries
According to the World Health Organization, falls are the second leading cause of deaths caused by accidental injury worldwide. Around 646,000 people die annually worldwide as a direct result of falls, and seniors are the most vulnerable to suffering serious or fatal injuries because of falls.
When falls happen, it’s important to understand why the injury occurred and who was to blame. If a negligent property owner was at fault for the fall, the property owner can be held accountable by the victim for damages the victim suffered as a direct result of the fall. Miami trip and fall lawyers can provide representation to victims in determining if they are entitled to compensation and in pursuing a claim to recover monetary damages.
Common Causes of Falls
In order to recover compensation for a fall injury, the victim would need to show that the fall was directly caused by the negligence of the defendant who the victim is seeking compensation from. This means showing the cause of the fall. Some of the most common causes of falls include:
- Wet flooring: A property owner could potentially be held accountable for negligently failing to warn visitors about a wet floor or for failing to prevent a floor from becoming slippery and wet when such prevention is possible.
- Uneven flooring surfaces: Un-level flooring and unexpected drop-offs can significantly increase the risk of a fall occurring. This can occur, for example, when there are loose floor boards or if there are broken tiles.
- Broken stair railings: When a victim falls because he cannot hold on to a stair railing to stay safe going up or down the stairs, the property owner may be to blame.
- Torn carpeting: Torn carpeting can create a tripping hazard that results in a fall injury.
- Potholes: Potholes in a parking lot or on the road could cause a person who is walking to fall.
- Debris in walkways: When walkways are crowded with items, these items can create a hazard for people trying to navigate aisles or walkways.
- Nursing home neglect: When a nursing home fails to provide adequate supervision and support for patients, falls can occur. The staff members and the nursing home can be held accountable for the fall injury.
If you have been hurt in a fall or if your loved one was killed because of a fall injury, contact Miami trip and fall lawyers for help pursuing a case to obtain compensation for loss. Your attorney can help you to identify the fall cause and prove a defendant was to blame. Call as soon as possible after a fall to get your claim underway.