Slip and Fall Injuries: A Look at Some of the Most Common Injuries That Occur
Slip and fall accidents can cause serious injuries. Many of these injuries require costly treatment and can interfere with the victim’s ability to work. Because substantial financial loss and a major decline in quality of life could occur as a result of a fall accident, it is important that victims who are hurt in a fall understand their rights and contact an experienced attorney to get help pursuing a claim for compensation.
If someone was responsible for your fall, such as a negligent property owner, a Miami slip and fall attorney can provide help to fall victims in taking legal action. It’s best to contact an attorney as soon as possible following a fall so you can ensure you are able to maximize the chances of receiving full compensation for injuries you’ve suffered.
The Most Common Injuries Caused by Slips and Falls
Falls can cause life-changing injuries to victims, whether the victim falls down the stairs, trips on a sidewalk with crooked tile, or takes a tumble under any other circumstances. Some of the most common injuries caused by falls include:
- Head injuries: According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, falls are the leading cause of traumatic brain injury. The CDC indicates close to half of all visits to emergency rooms due to traumatic brain injuries occur because of falls. Younger and older people are the groups most likely to suffer fall related injuries.
- Spinal cord injuries: Falls are one of the most common causes of spinal cord injuries among people of all ages, with the Mayo Clinic indicating that falls are responsible for causing more than 15 percent of all injuries to the spine. Among seniors 65 and over, falls are the single most common cause of spinal cord injuries.
- Bone fractures: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that more than 300,000 older people each year suffer hip fractures. More than 95 percent of these hip fractures occur as a result of falls. Most often, hips fracture after a senior falls sideways. Other bone fractures can also occur as a result of falls, and people of all ages are at risk.
- Brachial plexus injuries: Brachial plexus injuries affect the shoulder and can impact the nerves that connect the shoulder, arm, and hand to the spinal cord.
- Sprains and other soft tissue injuries: A slip or trip can result in a sprained ankle, twisted knee, or other damage to the soft tissues of the body such as muscles and ligaments.
Many of these injuries necessitate costly treatment and, in some cases, victims aren’t able to ever recover fully after an injury occurs. If you have sustained these injuries or have otherwise been hurt in a fall accident, a Miami slip and fall attorney can provide you with assistance in pursuing a claim to obtain compensation for economic losses caused by the fall as well as to obtain compensation for non-financial damages such as pain and suffering. Give us a call today to find out more about how a lawyer can help you.