Helping Florida Patients Recover from Negligent Doctors
Psychiatrists and pharmaceutical companies may be liable for damages you suffer as a result of your mental health treatment.
Brais Law Firm takes on challenging psychiatry malpractice claims. Our attorneys pursue psychiatrists who have misdiagnosed patients, failed to assess and respond to risks and mis-prescribed medications. In addition, we pursue pharmaceutical corporations that produce dangerous medications. View our Results page to learn more about our success in these types of cases.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists are held to an accepted standard of care of similarly situated doctors. This means they can be held liable for harm to their patients caused by such negligence as:
- Not conducting adequate assessment of the patient
- Prescribing an inappropriate drug or combination of drugs
- Overprescribing antidepressant, antianxiety and anti-psychotic medications
- Failing to consider drug interactions
- Failing to screen patient for risk factors
- Failing to properly monitor a patient
- Ignoring signs of suicidal thoughts and conduct
- Ignoring signs of violent thoughts and tendencies
- Not reporting threats to others or the patient’s own life
By their very nature, psychotropic drugs affect a patient’s mind, mood, consciousness and behavior. In many cases, the immediate and long-term effects are not sufficiently studied. Some drug companies have even gone to great lengths to hide adverse physical and psychological impact of their pharmaceuticals on patients.
Our Miami psychiatry malpractice attorneys pursue big pharma if our investigation of your case demonstrates a link between your injuries and the drug you were taking.
Damages in a Psychiatry Negligence Claim
Your psychiatrist may not be liable for failing to put your life back on track with nothing more. You have to show actual damages in order to recover for malpractice and because of the inexact nature of psychiatry, damages can be difficult to prove.
After all, what is the price for suicidal thoughts or social fallout resulting from the inappropriate prescription of the wrong medicine? How do you prove that the pharmaceutical caused the mental illness instead of the patient’s underlying emotional state?
Our attorneys have substantial experience proving these types of hard-to-prove damages. We use scientific methods to link the damages to the doctor’s negligence and calculate the value in consultation with experts.
Depending on the specifics of your case, you might be eligible for such damages as:
- Hospitalization for psychological and physical injuries
- Drug rehabilitation to wean you off of addictive medications
- Long term organ damage due to incorrect medication
- Long term mental health problems as a result of the psychologist’s errors
- Loss of job and earnings related to the psychologist’s mistakes
- Loss of family, friends, reputation or social standing
- Pain and suffering
We also represent family members of patients who have tragically committed suicide because of inaction or inappropriate actions of their psychologists, and those who were taking a dangerous pharmaceutical responsible for the suicidal thoughts.
Recover Damages from a Negligent Psychiatrist or Pharmaceutical Company
Brais Law Firm represents Florida patients in medical negligence claims involving psychiatry negligence. We encourage you to schedule a free consultation in our main Miami office. We can help you learn more about your rights to recovery. You run no risk under our contingency fee arrangement, which bases attorneys’ fees on your damages award.