Representing Florida Residents and Visitors
Florida has almost 1,500 miles of coastline and more than 12,000 square miles of water covering close to 20 percent of the state. Of course, this makes Florida a popular place to live and visit, but it also makes people vulnerable to a wide array of water-related injuries.
Brais Law Firm has a reputation for providing skilled, aggressive representation to injured clients and their families. Our lawyers are members of the prestigious Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum with more than $21 million in recovered damages in 2014 alone*. These recoveries include, but are not limited to, a suction entrapment drowning involving violation of the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act, snorkeling and diving accidents and injuries to operators and passengers on Jet Skis, also known as Personal Watercraft (“PWC”). Please review our Results page for examples of our firm’s six and seven figure recoveries.
Our attorneys can represent you in any type of water-related injury, such as:
- Personal watercraft and jet ski accidents, including collisions between your PWC and another PWC or vessel, jet propulsion and prop strike injuries from the jet propulsion of a PWC or being run over by another vessel and certain other types of collisions, actually called allisions, when any type of water craft strikes a fixed object like the concrete abutments of the narrow Florida Keys bridge opening while on a guided jet ski tour.
- Scuba diving and snorkeling accidents, including drowning and decompression-related injuries.
- Pool accidents, including drowning, diving and suction entrapment injuries.
Drowning and Near-Drowning
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 10 people die every day from unintentional drowning. Many more people are injured in near-drowning events, meaning they are deprived of oxygen while underwater, but survive. A victim who survives a near-drowning is likely to sustain a hypoxic or anoxic severe brain damage within minutes because of disruption to the flow of oxygen to the brain.
Damages Resulting from Accidents in Water Bodies
Our lawyers conduct a full investigation into your accident and calculate the compensation you are entitled to for such damages as:
- Brain damage from blow to head or asphyxia
- Spinal cord damage, typical of diving accidents
- Laceration and amputation from propeller accidents
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of wages and future earning capacity
- Rehabilitation and future medical needs
- Wrongful death, arising from drowning or other fatal injuries
Representation of Tourists
Florida attracts tourists from around the world to our spectacular beaches, lakes and waterways. Tour operators often rent motorboats and jet skis to tourists who have very little training in operating these vessels. Snorkeling and scuba diving excursions are also popular, but potentially dangerous, so are kite boarding, surfing and waterskiing.
Our firm regularly represents visitors who have been injured during holidays to the Sunshine State. We understand the challenges you face when you are injured far from home. Our team works with you to ensure you are able to get the appropriate medical care if your injuries prevent you from traveling. Once you have returned home, we represent your interests in Florida with as little interference to your life as possible so you can concentrate on your rehabilitation and recovery. Our Miami water fatality lawyers remain in regular communication with you about the progress of your case whether you live nearby or across the country. The very nature of tourism in Florida means that a majority of the firm’s clients are oftentimes residence from other states and, in some instances, even foreign countries.
Recover Damages for Your Water-Related Injuries
Brais Law Firm offers you a free, no-risk case evaluation of your water-related accident claim. Our contingency fee plan means you do not owe us attorneys’ fees until we recover damages on your behalf. Our firm handles water accident claims throughout Florida from our main office in Miami.
*Specific details regarding case and settlement results are not indications of the results of future cases and settlements, nor should they be held to be guarantees, warranties, or predictions regarding the result of representation by our firm. Furthermore, any message regarding the result of a specific case is not a promise of similar results in future cases, but rather represents the outcome of the specific legal and factual basis from which it arises.